so i recently took my mom to las vegas for mother’s day/her birthday since she hasn’t been to las vegas in about 10 years or so and the strip looks pretty different now then it did the last time she was there. i found a pretty good deal at planet hollywood and had never stayed there, but it was such a bad experience that i had to blog about it. the last time i was in vegas, i stayed at the cosmopolitan and while it was bad enough to prompt my boyfriend to write a bad review for it on yelp and tripadvisor, i wasn’t too upset and would give it another chance. but planet hollywood was terrible and i’m inclined to never stay at any harrah’s/caesar’s properties again. how could they have messed up so badly? let me count the ways.
- when we checked-in, their computers were down and they couldn’t issue any room keys so we had to wait forever (keep in mind that we had a show to catch in about an hour…there was a couple in front of me that canceled their reservation and looked for a different hotel)
- the room needs to be renovated as it’s pretty worn out…but i didn’t hold it against them
- there weren’t that many lights in the room, one of them needed its bulb replaced
- there was no mini fridge…not a big deal for me, but my mom wanted to refrigerate something. i was pretty surprised by this…how ever will they rip off their customers?
- the speakerphone on our phone was broken
- the tv’s sound kept going in/out
- whenever my mom called housekeeping/front desk, they put her on hold for a very long time and sometimes even hung up on her!
- we were locked out of our rooms when both our keys wouldn’t work
- i tried to use the phone by the elevators about this problem, but it was broken
- i went down and waited in line for the front desk to get the problem fixed, and was given an attitude by the woman helping me. she told me that the cards had been demagnetized, that’s why they weren’t working, and not to keep them near other credit cards or cell phones
- holding the key cards in my hand the entire time, i go upstairs and they still don’t work
- pretty pissed by this point, i come back down and the line is much longer. i tell the guy working that i would like to speak to the manager
- the manager makes me wait for a very long time (i think he was on a phone call)
- i tell him that our experience at the hotel has been rather unpleasant and he offers to give me 50% off one night’s rate. this isn’t too much since i had booked the deal at a very affordable rate and when i ask if this is the best he can do and he says yes, i accept
- we ask for an escort to our room to make sure the keys work because i do not want to come back down a third time and he’s kind enough to arrange technicians to make sure we get in ok
- since i had already paid in full when i booked the hotel, i asked if i’d be credited on my card and he says yes.
- throughout this experience, i am most offended that the woman i spoke with, and especially the manager, never apologized. when you work in hospitality, service should be a top priority and even if it’s not your fault directly, you can still say something like “i’m sorry that happened, let me see what i can do”
- the vending machine on our floor ate my mom’s money then broke
- this trip was about a week and a half ago and i realized yesterday that i had not seen my credit card credited yet
- i had to call them today to have it processed
i don’t know…am i expecting too much? have i been spoiled by nicer hotels? i know this isn’t a five-star hotel, but it’s still supposed to be pretty decent, and i would think that the level of service should be better. i don’t think i’m asking for too much…i’ve stayed at nicer hotels, but i’ve also stayed at worse ones and never had these kinds of problems. this has been the worst stay and hotel service i’ve experienced so far, and i hope it stays that way.
i will never stay at planet hollywood again, and i have my doubts for the rest of the brand now.