i saw an interesting post today from the harvard business review called “how apple broke the pr rules–and got away it” by joshua gans. he basically discusses how apple broke 5 “key” pr rules after the fiasco of the iphone 4 release. when it was released, apple was faced with a crisis over dropped signal strength if the device was held a certain way. by breaking these crisis communication rules, apple actually benefited and saved its brand and reputation.
i won’t post the entire article, if you’re interested in learning more, just check it out at hbr. but i will list the 5 rules broken by apple:
- apologize & take full responsibility
- don’t create expectations with a media event
- announce the giveaway first
- avoid specific comparisons with competitors
- don’t air your industry’s dark secrets
reading this made me wonder how toyota would have fared if it had responded the way apple did after the recalls.